Tuesday 10 January 2017

Granola by formula


I have been wanting to make granola for a while, but generally feeling overwhelmed about the huge amount of recipes there are, and not quite sure how to start. I tried asking for someones recipe, but they just throw stuff together. Then, I found a column where the author described her formula for making granola!! This made it completely accessible to me, and means I can use whatever is in my cupboard.

6:1 dry:wet ingredients
of the dry - 3 = oats, 1 = nuts, 1 = seeds and 1 = something else
of the wet - 1/2 = oil and 1/2 = sweet (she recommended coconut oil and maple syrup)
mix together dry, whisk together wet, mix wet into dry, add flavourings (I add cinnamon), and a little salt, then roast in oven, spread out in an even layer, in as many batches as required.
I tried it, and it is so working! I am feeling really accomplished.
This is going to sound thick, but I didn't realise granola was really just toasted museli. Not even after having it in a restaurant for breakfast once. Because in Australia, you eat untoasted museli (in my family, atleast), and if we did get toasted museli, we would eat a bowl full of it with milk, like any other cereal, rather than eating a couple of spoonfuls on yoghurt with fruit. I like the US way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your messages may take a while to appear because I have requested comment moderation. Thanks!