Sunday 3 May 2015

My reading lately

I have read some books recently (in the last 3 months...) that I would love to recommend:
1) Curly Girl - Lorraine Massey. She is a hair dresser who has created a method of looking after curly hair. As a result I have made some changes to my hair care, and am hoping my hair will appreciate it and stop being quite so unmanageable.
2) Overwhelmed - Work, Love and Play when no one has the time - Brigid Schulte
Part documentary, part self discovery. Brigid looks at "time pressure and modern life" according to the inside cover. She looks at the family, and work and leisure, and how no one feels like we have any quality time any more.
At the end she has a section of practical suggestions in the area of "Work", "Love"(family, roles, etc) and "Play" (which relates to having hobbies, remember them?)
One thing she mentioned was being aware of unconscious bias - on roles in the family. She mentioned gatekeeping by mothers which prevents fathers from having more than a 'helper' role with babies. And for work she mentioned chunking time - and committing to building up the muscle to sit there and concentrate on work/one thing, without checking emails every 5 mins. I know I have the Twitch - to check news websites when I'm frustrated with my work, instead of looking out the window, stretching and getting a glass of water.
And when I was looking for strategies for decluttering, I found The Minimalists - two american guys who have (they mention often) left their thing centric life and their 6 figure salary and found peace in minimalising, and are now, I guess, preachers of the lifestyle.
3) All That Remains - Joshua Fields Millburn - written as a series of dated essays over the two year period that he started being minimalistic. I don't always enjoy the writing style, especially the "conversations" that sound a bit preachy, but as an exploration of the idea of not organising 'stuff', but simply not owning it, the book is quite intriguing, and the length is such that you can read once, then go back and reread sections. A compelling argument for not owning as much is that it frees up time and money to spend with your family, because you're not having to clean, organise and look after all your stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your messages may take a while to appear because I have requested comment moderation. Thanks!