Friday 19 September 2014

Tips for cooking with two kids

Made ANZAC biscuits today, with both kiddies, after school, so that we can take them to a company family picnic on the weekend. I thought as we cooked, that I might be able to share some tips on this one, having been forced into the role for a couple of months now.
1 - two chairs, you stand in between. you can hopefully control the enthusiasm a little by increasing turn taking, also, you're closest to each child, so no-one can get creative without you being able to reach them. And, they can't hit/snatch from each other (if it gets that heated).
2 - recipe somewhere you can read it (I prop the book against the wall, my other favourite is putting the piece of paper on the fridge)
3 - get as many ingredients out onto a bench nearby as you can (but hide the eggs)
4 - by and large, no recipe that I have made with kids has been ruined by over mixing. Get them mixing if they're looking bored, or if you have to get another ingredient/duck away from the bench. Hope that the bowl doesn't end up on the floor (it hasn't for me, so far).
5 - I alternate turns with cups of ingredients - ie, child A tips cup into bowl, then child B tips cup into bowl. I also alternate mixing opportunities (generally encouraging the baby just to 'smash' into the bowl, while trying to encourage Mr 5 to do a bit of genuine mixing. The aim of the game is to keep the mixture in the bowl!!) and egg cracking opportunities, and everything. BUT, I have mum's turn too, so when things get really frustrating/desperate, I can step in (eventually).
6 - I always do the hot stuff
7 - I am always generous with licking opportunities - but AFTER we have finished cooking
8 - I put away as I go as much as I can. And while the oven is on and the cooking is happening, I put on a video, and clean up the kitchen more. The video gets them out of the kitchen, away from the hot oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your messages may take a while to appear because I have requested comment moderation. Thanks!