Monday 22 December 2014

Caroling

We went on our first ever children's caroling party on Friday night - starting at 4.30pm because the average age of the children was only about 7, possibly younger. We all gathered, ate a simple dinner, and then went out caroling. One of the party had printed out the words to a whole heap of Christmas carols, and most people (except us) had brought torches, and the idea is that someone knocks on the door, and then when someone answers the door, you start singing. Not everyone answered the door, but those that did seemed to appreciate it (for one song, at least, it was cold!) and then we went home and had hot chocolate and Wassail. The hot chocolate was from a store, and my five year old strongly encouraged me (with what could only be called a huge hot chocolate face) to get the recipe so I could make it! Wassail is a non-alcoholic warmed drink based on cranberry juice and spices, which I will endeavour to do more research on so I can explain it later.
We got home exhausted, but it was surprisingly enjoyable, and I can see how it would be a good way to connect with your neighbours. It was lovely to sing Christmas carols. The kids have been singing snatches of mangled Christmas carols around the house ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your messages may take a while to appear because I have requested comment moderation. Thanks!