Saturday 6 December 2014

Holiday Trees

I was much saddened to open my newspaper and see a caption under a Christmas tree, about a Holiday tree, set up in our Capitol. I strongly get the impression that in order to avoid reference to any religion in public life, the word Christmas has been officially retired. Think, Holiday parties, Holiday trees, Happy Holidays, Holiday feasts, Holiday shopping, etc. Some Jewish holidays seem to have snuck under the radar as far as neutralisation is concerned (and I'm not sure how you could neutralise something like Hanukkah?), but most other religions are definitely being pressed into private settings.
So everyone in Australia, enjoy your Christmas shopping for Christmas presents and putting up Christmas trees and having Christmas Day!

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed it sneeking in over here too What is Christmas if not a christian celebration!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your messages may take a while to appear because I have requested comment moderation. Thanks!